Thursday, January 18, 2007

World Cup 2006/7


This season I had to rank at least 3rd in the British selection races in Lillehammer and get two top 5 results on the Americas Cup before Christmas to advance onto the World Cup tour. I did it!! Was 3rd in the first race and 2nd in the British Champs - making me joint 2nd overall in our selection races.
Then it was to Calgary Canada for the first Americas Cup races - another success, with a 4th on the first day and a 2nd the next! All the British men proved themselves to have steped up a level this year, it was a close thing, so now I had my opportunity to progress to the world level, I had to take it! Which ment hanging around in Calgary for the World Cup race a few weeks later with the team hamster Moritz (another story!) I was hopefull of a good result having learnt the track so well with coach Mark 'Woody' Wood, but it was not to be with a finish of 25th! The lesson I learnt was that you payed for a mistake in a World Cup race - and a skid out of an important corner ment no second run (you have to be in the top 20 to get a second run!).
So it was with some trepidation that I travelled to the next race in Park City, Utah (the site of Skeleton's return to the Olympics in 2002). I had never been here before and only had 6 runs in official training to learn what I could and make the cut! I was very pleased with a 17th place :) It gave me confidence to go Lake Placid, New York for the last race before Christmas.
9th place!! Yeah, after the first run! But Skeleton is a two run race - it pays to be consistent, and my inexperience showed as I dropped to a final position of 16th.....still very happy with that tho!
I'm on World Cup and loving it! Now the roundups are updated, I'll get down to writing some more up to date reports! It's race day in Igls, Austria tomorrow - so I'll let you know how it goes and report on a very successful trip to Japan just after New Year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ant, Fantastic were all behind you here. Glad to see the blog since it's hard to follow the results closely from UK. Keep up the good work. Simon, Jackie James & Emma