Thursday, January 18, 2007

So Far


After watching Skeleton at the 2002 Winter Olympics on TV in Spain whilst on a decathlon training camp (I competed in Decathlon for Great Britain from 2000-2004 and represented England at the 2002 Common Wealth Games)..... I thought "I could do that!" And investigated how to get into it - if someone else can do it, I must be able to! It just so happened that Britains first Talent ID squad was trialing that summer for the first time at Bath uni (follow the 'British Skeleton' link to get involved yourself!) My athletic training stood me in good sted and I won a place on the Talent ID squad, sliding my first, emotional weeks in Lillehammer, Norway later in 2002 - I loved it, the traveling, competing and adventure! After trying to combine Decathlon with Skeleton for a couple of years - including one year recovering and training through a broken foot from a pole vaulting accident - I decided to concentrate on Skeleton, cos I loved it and wanted to get to the Olympics!
So for the 2004/5 and 2005/6 seasons I competed for Great Britain on the Europa Cup circuit, enjoying some great times, but ultimatley trying to 'make it' onto the World Cup tour! See my next section for the 2006/7 story.........

No comments: