Friday, January 19, 2007

Nagano World Cup 2007


After a mellow Christmas break with friends and family I was told we WOULD send a mens team to Nagano, Japan to compete in the World Cup race. Cool! How often do you get to go to Japan?! We weren't going to go, but a tricky situation with points to qualify all three of us for the World Champs ment it was necessary.....It's a great place Japan, I really like their respect thing - the way it should be! The track was pretty cool too, a lot of ups aswells as downs (the gradient that is!), and there had been a big dump of snow the day before which also made for some great scenery and major international snow ball fights! I got on pretty well at the track and the superb hospitality of the local sliders and the towns residents (a big opening ceremony and bus loads of kids to cheer us on) made for a great event. I finished 4th overall!! A great result for me! I know not all the athletes were there cos of the long journey, but I placed pretty well amongst those who turned up!
So my first medal (places 1st to 6th recieve medals in Skeleton, in recognition of the fact that the results are usually so close; within a couple of tenths of a second i.e. 0.20 sec!) Next time I hope to be on the podium!! Thanks to all those I met in Japan, it was great to visit such a different culture - I don't think there'll ever be naked hotsprings introduced to the UK!!

No comments: